Movie : Devdas
Language : Hindi
Year : 1936
Starring : K.L. Saigal, Jamuna Barua
Original Singer : Kundan Lal Saigal
Original Music Score : Timir Baran
Lyrics by : Kedar Sharma
Karaoke Track - courtesy Meragana
(1) Inspiration for this came from respected members like Naqvi-jee, Giri-jee, Sandip-jee & others who sing old ghazals, Rabindranath sangeet etc.
(2) Along with that mentioned above, very recently, developed an inclination to try one of the great K.L. Saigal's tracks as well as a desire to sing a song from the 1930's, an era when hindi films were just born........& then, I thought, perhaps, I could combine the three- fulfill the inspiration, the inclination & the desire in one go - attempt one of Saigal's songs from the 1930's & what better choice than a pick from the timeless "Devdas".
(3) I first heard of Saigal when I was avidly listening to Kishore during my growing up years in the plantations in Malaysia. My late Dad mentioned Saigal saying singers like Kishore, Rafi & Mukesh were all inspired by him & Dad had immense adoration for Saigal.
(4) This is a first for me - a 1930's song, a Saigal song. Please do not even compare. I feel like a dot in the ocean here when trying to sing songs by such legends. Same time, it is also very fulfilling to realise that being such an ardent fan of hindi music, I am covering areas that were unexplored by me before - challenging myself, so to say. That plus the delight of having some wonderful co-singers here on YL who take their precious time off to listen, comment & most importantly, do not hesitate to correct us. Pardon the flaws but like always, be critical!!
(5) Lastly but not the least, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 days of listening to this song & learning this as much as I enjoy a Kishore, Rafi, Yesudas, Mukesh or Mahendra Kapoor.
Disclaimer : This song is not intended for any commercial release and carries no commercial value whatsoever. It is a cover version for family, friends, well wishers and lovers of such music. They are posted solely out of a passion for singing them and also out of the greatest respect and highest admiration for each and everyone involved in the original compositions/ production. Anyone sharing/ distributing is doing it without my knowledge at his own will and risk and shall bear all consequences arising out of their actions.
Licence : All Rights Reserved